Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Joys and Frustrations of Working at a Hotel

When you're on vacation and you check into a hotel, do all your human intuitions stay at the door? Do you become so dependent on that front desk worker, that you forgot what it was like to do simple things like connect to the internet or listen when I tell you that breakfast is from 6-10 am? A man called me from his room phone today and told me that his phone wasn't on because he couldn't dial a 1-800 number...........hmmm so sir, if your phone isn't on, how do u suppose you called me? Turns out he was pushing a 9 to dial out instead of an 8 to dial long distance!! MAN!!

The stories I have from working at a hotel get even better!

It KILLS me when someone calls and I answer and say, "Thank you for calling the Hampton Inn Lexington-South, this is Kay, how can I help you." and their response is, "Is this the Hampton Inn?" or "Who did I call?" or "Who's this?" Granted a lot of these responses are from people ages 80 and up, but really??

Another great one is when someone calls and I ask them what dates they were looking to come stay at our property and they say, "Let me get my calender." WHAT?! why didn't you have that ready when you CALLED? You think I can read your mind?

My absolute favorite is when people call and tell me they have to run upstairs to get their credit card......don't you know that you have to have a credit card to hold the room?! wow!

My other favorite is when I have to give directions all the way from I-75. WHY IN THE WORLD DIDN'T YOU MAPQUEST THE SHIT BEFORE YOU GOT ON THE ROAD?!

Man, I love my job, but SOMEtimes, it drives me CRAZY!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite is when the call and ask to put you on hold so they can take another call!! :)

    ReplyDelete