Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Never want to forget, so I'm writing it all down :)

Our little boy got here safe and sound, healthy and beautiful! I wanted to keep a record of my labor and delivery because everyone says you forget it so quick and I don't ever want to forget!

We had gone to the doctor on Tuesday May 11th at 2:20 and they scheduled an induction for me on Friday at 7:30 am. They did an ultrasound to see how big he was and they said he was 8lbs 2 oz. BIG BOY! I had started having contractions, but I just thought it was cramps from being hungry. Later that night Jamal and I went out to eat with Shonda and Boobie at TGI Fridays and I had started having contractions that were about 11 min apart and then 8 min and 6 mins. They kept getting closer and closer. We were eating dinner (at 11pm) and I had my phone out so I could count the contractions on my stopwatch feature. They were 3-7 minutes apart. When we got back to the apartment, the contractions were definitely 3-5 minutes apart, so I called the hospital. They told me to come in and if it was false labor, they would send me home and if not, they'd keep me. So we packed up and made our way to the hospital.

I remember Jamal thought it wasn't real, but I KNEW I was in labor. I had just pre-registered for the hospital on the internet that morning, but their computers were down so I had to fill out a ton of paperwork. I was still having contractions, but they weren't that bad, so we just waited for a nurse to come in and I got into a gown and into the bed. After about 2 hours, I asked if I was staying and they said yes, I was in labor. I was 3 cm when I got to the hospital and within about 2 hours, I was 4 cm and was able to get my epidural. By that time, the contractions were so bad, I NEEDED that epidural! Jamal had to leave the room and they lifted my bed up and my leg was shaking when they stuck the needle in because my contractions were so bad and I was so nervous. Once I got that epidural I was great though. Jamal's mom got there and I texted everyone at 4am when I was 8cm and my mom made her way over. I couldn't breathe around 7 am and they turned my epidural off and turned me on my side, so by the time I started pushing and had him, the epidural had worn off so I felt his head come out. I actually didn't start pushing until about 8:30. I had fallen asleep for about 45 minutes and then the nurse (who was actually the nurse that did our birthing classes) woke me up and I started pushing. It really wasn't that bad until his head started to come out and by that time I was so tired from pushing that I thought I couldn't do it, but I knew I really didn't have a choice. haha. It was just so overwhelming to see this little person come out of you and look at your child and know that nothing in the world can take that title away from you. You have this little person that will love you unconditionally for the rest of your life! My mom was right when she said, "you'll never know how much I love you until you have a child." If it's possible, I think now I love my mom even more too :)

Kingston Thomas Wilkinson
May 12, 2010
7 lbs. 1 oz.
20 1/4 inches

No comments:

Post a Comment